Fira de Barcelona is committed to sustainability, the protection of the environment, the circular economy and the fight against climate change. We promote measures of recycling, energy efficiency and eco-design of booths and optimisation of services to minimise the impact generated by the trade fairs and congressional activity.
Energy efficiency Renewable energies
We are committed to energy optimisation through the installation of the most advanced technologies and equipment: Fira de Barcelona is a pioneer in Spain in furnishing an entire venue (Gran Via) with IoT technology to optimise energy consumption associated with HVAC. We have also installed low consumption lighting systems (LED).
We promote the use of renewable energies. The Gran Via venue has one of the biggest rooftop photovoltaic plants in the world with 25,947 panels over an area of 135,000 m2 that generate 5.86 GWh of electricity per year, avoiding the emission of more than 2,200 tons of CO2.We are connected to the municipal heating and cooling network, consuming energy from renewable sources.
We establish partnerships with public bodies and private entities to promote practical sustainability. We promote a manual of environmental good practices, in collaboration with the Barcelona Convention Bureau´s Sustainable Tourism programme, promote the use of public transport among those attending events, reducing the impact on the environment, and we promote sustainable tourism in the city of Barcelona.
We offer exhibitors the option of choosing stands with a lower environmental impact and of using a service to calculate and compensate for the “carbon footprint”, through the CleanCO2 certification, which identifies the greenhouse gas emission sources inherent to all activities.
Recycling and waste
We promote the recycling of waste (paper, cardboard, glass, packaging, etc.) and we implement technology to cut consumption of paper and plastic as much as possible, as in the case of registration to trade shows and congresses. Thanks to the agreement with Ecoembes, every year we transfer around 2,000 tons of waste for recovery.
Initiatives against waste:
- We are developing (test phase) the installation of smart bins through IoT technology that provide information on the volume and type of accumulated waste. Data that help to optimise selective waste collection services.
- We promote "Towards Zero Waste", a pioneering initiative implemented by Smart City Expo World Congress, IoT Solutions World Congress and Iwater, which is committed to the sustainability of events by reducing the environmental impact associated with mobility, the use of water and energy, and the consumption of products and services, among others.
- We collaborate with the "Towards Zero Waste" project, promoted by Barcelona City Council, which promotes the reduction of waste and the saving of resources.
- Since 2014, the MWC Barcelona, which is held at the Gran Via venue, has been certified carbon neutral.
We work to promote the reuse of part of the materials used at the fairs, such as carpets or furniture, etc. either internally or through social organisations.
- Donation Room. In collaboration with the City Councils of Barcelona and L´Hospitalet, we encourage the reuse of materials used in various trade fairs and congresses to be donated to social organisations, families and people at risk of exclusion, in addition to hiring people in situation of vulnerability.
- Donation of food surpluses to Nutrició sense Fronteres (Nutrition without Borders). Every year, through GastroFira, more than 16 tons of healthy food is distributed among people at risk of exclusion.
Trade show initiatives that
We promote events
related to sustainability:
- Smart City Expo World Congress, international congress on intelligent solutions to make cities more liveable in terms of mobility, resource management, etc.
- Iwater, the International Integral Water Cycle Trade Show that focuses on the digitalisation of processes to gain efficiency and on the circular economy as a new paradigm to confront the scarcity of hybrid resources.
Our environmental actions have received international recognition with the Sustainable Development Award (2017) of the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry (UFI) which classifies the world's leading trade fair organisers. The award recognised Fira's commitment to helping Barcelona become a benchmark destination in terms of trade fair sustainability.